01 August 2010

Two Dams

When we left Heaton  Bay Campground we got back on the bike trail and headed toward Silverthorne.  It was still kinda cloudy but the clouds were burning off quickly and we had an excellent first half of the day.  We met some fellow cyclists who offered us some coffee while we listened to their stories of experience concerning the cycling in this area.  Words of wisdom.  Hearing about the bike trails they had personally helped build, it made it even harder to leave this gorgeous area.
Ken making sure we are going the right way.
Yeah, yeah, I know I am S L O W.
This trail went all the way around this huge lake and for hundreds of miles past it.  Pure heaven for people like us.  No cars, other like-minded folks to say hello to, and views you can't stop staring at.  I loved it here.
The people here are happy and always say hello.  They love our trikes.  And our dog.  And what we are doing out here.  Meeting other cyclists is like running into long lost friends.  Everyone has such good energy on the bike trail.  Especially on this one.  Kinda hard to be unhappy with so much beauty surrounding you.  It has been so healing for me to see God's work up close like this.
If the puddle would have been bigger this would have been such a great shot.
This is Bill and Dave.  Tom is here somewhere too along with his grandson.  They were all heading out for a morning ride when they saw us and we started talking.
Bill lives here. 
He gave us some coffee.
Can you imagine living here?  I can. And so can my feet:

We finished our coffee and headed toward Silverthorne via the Blue River Trail that eventually ran out and led us to Hwy 9, a road with moderate traffic and a very wide shoulder.  Silverthorne is another ski town that seemed really cool but we just pedaled through it and didn't really check it out. We stopped on the other side of town to let Simon out and to let Mo do a little rock climbing.
Mo likes livin on the edge.
Simon doesn't.  But he's okay if I am holding him.  :)
As we headed down Hwy 9 the hills were rolling and the skies were getting darker again.
See the nice wide shoulder?  It equals peace of mind for us.  Still nowhere near as good as a desolate lonely road, but much better than a busy road with no shoulder.  We appreciate whoever decided to put the effort into making this shoulder.  It was also really clean - no debris.
We passed some beautiful farms.
As you might have guessed, I am particularly aware of these roadside memorials since Alex has one too.  I didn't go see it while we were in Denver and I sort of wish I would have.  Someone told me there is still stuff there, and that someone keeps it up.  I wonder who that is, and I thank them.
We got off Hwy 9 to take the loop around Green Mountain Res, since Bill and Dave said it was traffic free.  They also said it was harder but worth the extra effort to avoid the now shoulderless Hwy 9 and they were right.  We could ride side by side and the view was really something.  Unfortunately the skies were getting quite dark now, and it wasn't long before the first drops started to fall.  The first of many.  Before long we were SOAKED and Ken wasn't happy.  I, of course, took it all in stride. (snicker) That is until we took a wrong turn and ended up at the bottom of a very long, very steep hill that we had to slowly come back up.  It was getting cold too and there was no place at all to get out of the weather, other than down a long gravel road to a campground that we would never be able to get back up.
See the tiny RVs down there?  There was no way we could have made it, but it would have been a great place to camp.  It was so quiet here it was almost eerie at times.
When Ken complains, I like to take pictures of it.  lol  I am glad he doesn't do that to me though.  When we got back on Hwy 9, the trucks going by made it feel like they were dumping buckets of water right into our faces.  It was the worst we have ever been splashed, and we've gotten splashed a lot.

The rock cliffs here were pretty cool looking.  Them being wet made the contrast in the colors really stand out.  Still, it was hard to get many pictures during this stretch.
We finally made it out of there and the rain stopped about the same time that we pulled into a  little town called Kremmling, which has the worst mosquito problem we've encountered so far.  Apparently they had just had another hatching so they were even worse than usual.  Burts Bees stuff helped, but they still got us pretty good after the sun went down.  We stayed at an RV park and had a really nice neighbor named Bob who cooked us a baked potato, gave us some watermelon, and told us about The Sulphur Hot Springs.  He told us about them so many times that we knew it must be something worth checking out, so the next day we did.  We finally did what Theresa Hundley told us to do when she gave us our donation, and we did something EXTRA to spoil ourselves a little bit.  We spent $10 each to get into the Springs and let me tell you, it was worth every cent!  Thank you Bob!  And thank you Theresa and family!
Hi Bob!

No comments:

Post a Comment