08 September 2010

Clearwater Natl Forest, Idaho

After spending two days at the Powell Campground, we packed up our wet stuff (one of my least favorite things about being out here - breaking camp when it's wet) and started what was to be one of our favorite days so far. We coasted, and this is no exaggeration, 67 miles to the little town of Lowell.  Okay, once in awhile we had to pedal, but it wasn't often.  On our left the entire time was the Lochsa River, which got wider and more wild with each bend we rounded.  We must have taken 200 pictures, but we only ended up with about 20 to show you.  It just doesn't work to take pictures of a windy river from the road.  All you get is a picture of a crooked road with some water back there behind it somewhere.  I am disappointed that such a gorgeous place like this is so poorly portrayed here, but here are the few pics we got...


This picture was taken by these two eastbounders, Nathan and April:  You can see their blog here:
Those are some really great panniers!  Nathan made them!
There were a number of these bridges along the river.  Another pretty common thing here was cables going over the water, and on the other side was a basket thingy that you got into and it pulled you across.  Kinda like those rides that go over canyons and stuff.  I can't remember what those are called.  I didn't get any pictures of them, though.  We crossed one of the bridges and it led to a Warm Spring.  (Note:  If you are cycling out here, there is a Hidden Hot Spring at mile marker 142.  Hike back about a mile, and jump over the log.)


We stopped for several breaks on this ride, not because we needed to rest from all that coasting, but because it was the only way to take in so much beauty.  Truly stunning.
This was a campground but there was nobody there.  Could it be because they cut down all the trees and the sites had no shade???  Dumb.
We stopped to shed a couple layers since it was warming up quick.  It's amazing how often we do that..  put something on, take it back off, put it back on, take it off again...  Hot Cold Hot Cold.  Weird.
We also stopped because Simon had to use the restroom.  :)
Aww Mom, you're embarrassing me!
Often times there are signs on our route that explain some history.
Many Indian Tribes and white settlers including Lewis and Clark and Chief Joseph used the Lolo Trail that we were now pedaling on.  Can you imagine doing a route like this through such difficult terrain without tires and hard roads..  without TerraTrikes????  I can't!
We finally rounded the last corner of the day and landed here, in this very small town.
And apparently it's getting smaller!  lol  Look at that low elevation level!  Quite a change!
We camped over there.
And so did these two.  Mike and Anna were finishing a TransAm trip they had started last year but didn't finish due to weather issues.  I asked Anna how she liked riding on the back and she said she had gotten used to it, but when she got back on her own bike at home, she lost control of it because those handlebars actually worked!  LOL!  Hi you two!!  We will be in Oregon tomorrow!
We stopped to pick blackberries.  I had never seen so many before!  They lined the road along the river for miles and miles and miles.  Impossible to resist, we stopped and gathered some.  Sounds fun, right?  Well, not really, that is UNLESS YOU LIKE GETN THE CRAP BEAT OUT OF YOU BY A PLANT.  See Ken?
See him now?  No, you don't, but he is in there.  That plant took him down and was slashing away at him as I snapped this shot.  I was about to go in after him when I realized that the vengeful vegetation would just do the same to me, so I waited by the river instead.
"Ken?  You okay?"  There was nothing I could do...
When Ken finally broke free he sat down to treat his wounds, but not before giving me this:
I said, "WOW!  That was so worth it!" to which he glared and replied, "Was it, Jen?"  lol
Honestly, though, have you ever seen such a perfect and HUGE roadside berry?
It was so big we split it for dinner.  Okay, not really, I tried to give it back to Ken since he had worked so hard for it but when he refused, I ate it.  :)  It was delicious!!!
New Keens feet shot in front of the Lochsa River.
It certainly is.

4 comments:

  1. Hi ya Jenn and Ken,

    I enjoyed meeting up with you as I was bicycling up and you all were biking downhill from Lolo Pass.

    Having left from Sacramento we went the "Sierra Cascades" route to Crater Lake then followed the "TransAM" route, met you all, and then continued to Missoula. We then pedaled to Glacier Park in Montana.

    We took the Amtrak from East Glacier Park last Saturday, and had a layover in Portland, arriving back in Sacramento this past two days ago.

    I like your website and the photos displayed. I am sorting through my trip photo collection currently. We saw so many animals during our travels including mountain goats, and a bear I waved to as I was bicycling downhill while going along the Going-to-the-Sun Road in Glacier Park. It was not till about 2 minutes later I realized it was probably a cub (<10' away on the right side of the road) I waved to in passing, while I was also passing a car driver in front of me who was pausing, photographing a big bear (possibly the mother ?) going up the hill on the left side of the road. We also saw big horn sheep in the parking lot of the Logan Pass Visitor Center as we biked across the Continental Divide. I also saw bison (with binoculars) in a Blackfeet Reserve as we left Browning MT.

    Did the stop at Lost Valley LostValley.org in Dexter seem interesting enough for your goals to become a reality ?

    Peace,

    Ming

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ming! Did I ever respond to this comment? I was crusing through my blog this morning and found it.. Sorry if I didn't!

    How are you! How was the trip? Any more traveling in your future?

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live up in this area and if i were you I wouldnt be eating berries along the road. The forest service sprays those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will keep that in mind, next time we are in Idaho. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete