20 July 2009

Smiley Face Spider

I am not a big fan of spiders but when I saw this one near our back door I couldn't stop looking at it. I had never seen a spider with spikes on it and it's web is so unique and beautiful I had to do some research and find out what in the world this thing was. It is a tiny species of orb weaver, appropriately nicknamed "Smiley Face Spider" because of the marks on it's body. They come in many colors. Some of them have red spikes or orange bodies, and they are harmless.
I never thought I'd say this, but isn't this spider TOO CUTE???

3 comments:

  1. We saw such a spider in FL the winter we were there and took its pic, too. Strange little creatures. I liked the Satan squirrel, too. And the mad lightening bug. LOL out loud. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is about the size of my Pinkey Nail

    ReplyDelete